Mar 13, 2011

Facing Adversity

You know how I said that I got permission from my therapist to go to Tanzania? Well, she apparently has changed her mind. I received a call on Wednesday that she won’t write me a letter until I get records from my primary care doctor and that doctor signs off on me going. I guess that makes sense, but I still think it was pretty cruel of her to say that she would write me a letter and then take all back. So, now I have an appointment to see my doctor this upcoming Friday and hopefully I will be able to get back on track to go. I really don’t know what I’d do if I can’t get this letter. I’ve already invested so much time and money into this and there’s no way to recoup my losses at this point. It really all comes down to this one appointment on Friday, so, prayers (if you do that kind of thing) and positive thoughts won’t be turned away.

On another note, even though I’ve gone vegan, I’ve decided to add back in honey. Many vegans do not eat honey because it is considered exploitation of animals (the honeybees), but I’m just not in a place right now where I can be excluding all of the many products that use honey as a sweetener and/or binder. I hope that any vegans out there who might read my blog will respect my decision about this because it is not something that I take lightly.

In the meantime, I’m finishing up spring break over here. I didn’t go anywhere nor did I do anything fun locally. I mostly just read for classes (there was actually quite a lot that was expected by the professors considering the break and that we just had midterms). I’m pretty sure I received 4.0’s on all my exams, but I can’t be sure, and I’m surprised to say that I don’t especially care. I do all my work, I study, and I do the best that I can and that’s good enough for me and usually good enough for the professor as well thankfully.

I’m still working on reading Becoming Vegan and it’s really helped in alleviating some of the food fears and aversions that have recently resurfaced and is helping to better educate me in what I should be eating as a vegan to ensure that I’m not missing out on anything important. I can’t believe I forgot about beans! It’s true, I literally forgot that beans exist and are packed with good stuffs for your bod.

Anyone else following the expo going on right now on Twitter? Katie has a really good page on a bunch of exciting new products that are coming out that I can’t wait for! Can you say vegan So Delicious Greek yogurt and vegan Amy’s cheese pizza!? I can’t even recall the last time I had a piece of pizza. I just find it so hard to cook for myself because it’s just me and most recipes aren’t meant for just one person to be consuming and I can only enjoy leftovers for so long before becoming absolutely sick of it. That didn’t stop me from buying The Happy Herbivore Cookbook, though!

That’s all that I can really think of to say right now. I’ll be sure to post either this coming weekend or early next week about how everything went and where everything with Africa stands.

1 comment:

  1. keep pushing!! I know that you can do it! I'm set to study abroad next year and I'll need doctors to sign off on my forms too. I just think about how much of a soul nourishing experience it is going to be and how much it's going to change my life and let me live a little outside of myself and my recovery. I've been turned down from things before for not being healthy enough to go and I'm determined not to let my ED slow me down this time! I know we BOTH can do it!!
    Hannah : )

    ReplyDelete