Apr 20, 2011

Everything Is Better In Mini Form

FOOD

In my endless search for new, healthy, and yummy recipes, I came across the daughter of Katie’s Pizzerts. Please greet to the world, Kat’s Baby Pizzerts:

4_19_11

Because we all know that everything is better when you miniaturize it, right?

Baby Pizzerts

- 4 T whole-wheat flour (if making chocolate pizzerts, sub 1T flour for 1T cocoa powder)
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 2 t sweetener
- 1/4 c water or milk
- 1 T applesauce
- spices and extracts, as desired

Combine dry ingredients into a bowl and mix in wet ingredients. Spoon ~1T batter into a sprayed muffin tin (should fill 6). Bake at 350deg for 6-8 minutes. Allow a minute or two to cool. Transfer to a plate and add toppings!

I made these last night while watching the season premiere of “16 and Pregnant” and participating in Fit Blog. I did the cocoa powder sub to make then chocolate-flavored, and I added cinnamon and almond extract to the batter. After they came out of the oven, I topped each with a little crunchy almond butter and mini vegan chocolate chips. Simple, but oh so good. These babies are very fluffy and filling, although I wasn’t full for very long and had a bowl of cereal in addition about an hour or so later.

Another recent meal has been another Katie creation, Banana Bread in a Bowl, which is so simple you’ll wonder why you never thought of it before:

BananaBread_InABowl

Banana Bread in a Bowl

- 1 banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 c flake cereal (I used Grape Nut Flakes)
- 1 c milk (I used Light Vanilla Silk)

Put in a blender, blend, and top with cinnamon or even a few walnut pieces if you so choose! See? Didn’t I tell you that it was easy? I might want to use a bigger flaked cereal next time (Grape Nut flakes are super small), but you definitely got the texture in there which brought this simple blend to the next level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIFE

I have my next counselor meeting tomorrow after work to check up on how I’ve been doing with “Mission: Increase Protein Intake”. I think I’ve been doing pretty well actually! I don’t like that it pretty much has be to a conscious decision to choose a protein-rich food over another food that I may want more, but I know that it’s important at this stage because I’m trying to build muscle mass and my old way of eating (meaning maybe only get 30-40g protein a day) was probably more hurtful than helpful. Hopefully she’ll agree that I’ve been making a real effort and that I’m on the right path.

I found out a few days ago that my boss is quitting because she feels too overburdened at work (this position is actually a second job in addition to a teaching position that she has at another university). I completely understand that she is treated poorly and that the position is far too much for one person to do effectively and efficiently. However, when I signed on to do this job I was told that I was guaranteed my position through graduation. With a new boss, I no longer feel like I have this guarantee and that is pretty scary. I’m being expected to carry our office through the transition, but I haven’t been around long enough or been involved deeply enough in the actual processes to know how to help a new director out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FITNESS

Ever since my easy run on Monday, the back of my knee has been acting up. It’s funny. It feels fine when I’m actually doing something physical, like yoga or walking, but when I stop and sit that’s when it starts to be sore. I’ve been elevating it and icing it at home, and I’m hoping that as long as I do this after every workout that it will go away fairly quickly. I did a little research this morning and think that I have one of the most common injuries that runner’s get (although I don’t think that this is quite so severe that I’d term it an injury): Runner’s Knee. I can’t be sure, because of course I’m diagnosing myself and only have words to describe the discomfort and not any visuals.

I tested out my knee by running an easy 3 miles today. No pain whatsoever. After coming home to stretch and do some ab and upper body work, I iced and elevated both knees on and off for about 30 minutes. So far so good, but the real test will be later tonight or when I wake up tomorrow morning.

Oh! Did I ever mention to you guys that I finally broke down and bought myself the Garmin Forerunner 305? Well, I did, and it was probably one of the greatest decisions I’ve ever made. Seriously! This thing is amazing, I love it! If outdoor running is a big part of your life and you have made running a part of your life then I would definitely recommend making the investment.

51lHg9ZcN7L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m now on Formspring! I plan on doing a Q&A post once I get enough responses. Seriously, ASK ME ANYTHING. My running, family, school, ED, nothing is off limits. And it’s completely anonymous, so don’t hold back.

Any advise on my knee situation? Have you had a similar experience before?
Do YOU Fit Blog Tuesday nights?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, I just put up a recipe on my blog for mini muffins... they are better because you can eat more ;) and they are more moist! two benefits!

    ReplyDelete