Oct 4, 2010

Dinosaur Dash and Marie Claire

Sunday

Once again, I woke up too sick to do anything athletic today. So, instead of running myself, I bundled myself up so that I could head out and cheer Lyle on for his first 5K race in 5 years: The Dinosaur Dash. I’m sort of glad that I did not race again today as it was even colder than CCRR was last weekend. Breakfast was a Chocolate Chip Clif Z-Bar and a banana grabbed on the way out the door, as well as a Chocolate Brownie PureBar. Lyle ended up finishing with a 26:03 and 284th out of a total of 883 runners. I stuck it out in the blistering cold so that I could see him cross the finish line and take a picture to commemorate the occasion.

IMG_0001

Once the race was over and I was back home I was famished for oatmeal! I didn’t care that it was past noon; I wanted oatmeal gosh darned it! And I wanted it to be fall-themed. Old-fashioned oats made in Vanilla Caramel tea, mixed with chia seeds, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin puree, and topped with Grape Nuts, PB&Co. White Chocolate Wonderful, and maple syrup. It’s fabulous even in the afternoon.

IMG_0002

I’m still scavenging for the time being because 1) I haven’t felt great, and 2) I beyond desperately need to go to the grocery store. You know you need to go right away when you have no choice but to eat cereal for dinner if, indeed, you want to eat something for dinner. Only one more day of this kind of life and then I can at least get some produce and other smatherings of food!

More pumpkin oatmeal and, hopefully, an elliptical workout in the morning. As well as a Food Safety quiz and more studying.

Monday

Well, I had intended to head to the gym this morning, but somehow I have picked up a bug and my throat is a bit narrower than it used to be, making swallowing and the like a bit more difficult than it is appreciated being. In addition to unexplained aches, I made the decision to sleep in an extra 1.5 hours. I think I made the right choice, don’t you? Tomorrow for sure though, as long as I don’t get any worse, I can promise all of you readers that I will do… something.

Breakfast was old-fashioned oats made in Vanilla Caramel tea, mixed with chia seeds, cinnamon, flaxseed meal, nutmeg, and pureed pumpkin, and topped with Grape Nuts, maple syrup, and PB&Co. WCW peanut butter.

IMG_0006

In the midst of studying for my Economics exam this week, taking notes on lipids for Nutrition, and working my way slowly through Gilmore Girls (season 5), I of course checked out my blogroll and came across this post by Caitlin over at Healthy Tipping Point. I’m not one to read magazines, so I’m glad that Caitlin posted a PDF on her blog so that I could read the article. It’s reasons like that that I don’t read magazines and try to always have a critical eye when reading anything. Healthy Living blogs have had such a positive influence on my life since I started following them this summer. I’ve tried so many new things that I previously had never heard of, or didn’t know enough about, or were just too scared to try. They’ve inspired me to want to learn how to cook and rediscover my love for vegetarianism and pseudo-veganism. It saddens me that one outlet of the media is trying to deprive many others like who I was from finding and enjoying these blogs.

I had lunch with Lyle today, being that it’s a Monday. I had raspberry preserves on a whole-wheat sandwich thin and a bowl of cheddar broccoli and potatoes. Yes, I am really scraping the bottom of the barrel for food right now. But I’m so close to fresh produce I feel like crying from joy and self-pity! I also packed some Cinnamon Brown Sugar almonds mixed up with Cascadian Farm Raisin Bran for a snack to hold me over until I could get back from grocery shopping and eat something hopefully good.

I’ve been really lightheaded the past few days. Even if I have just woken up or eaten a meal, so I don’t know how to explain it, but it sure is a pain when you’re trying to take notes in class… or trying not to pass out during/between classes. Once I finally got home from grocery shopping, I didn’t feel like eating at all and forced myself to eat some peaches. I’m hoping that my body will decide that it wants sustenance again and that I’ll feel like eating a little later. Once again, my goal for tomorrow morning is to be well enough to get on the elliptical. In other health news, I have a scan scheduled for Wednesday. I’ll only have to fast for a short amount of time, but I have to lie still for 2 hours. I consider it a fair trade-off. I hope you all have had a good start to the week!

And thanks for sticking around through this tough time in my life. I won’t give up as long as you don’t!

1 comment:

  1. That was really nice of you to go out and cheer him on in the blistering cold. I know that my dislike of the cold keeps me from doing many things so that's something I need to work on.

    Just keep hanging in there and don't worry about activity if your health needs some down time. I took 3 weeks off of exercise in Greece and to begin with it drove me crazy, but in the end I ended up learning to appreciate walking and learned that 20 minutes a day is more than enough for me and I don't need to beat myself up over it anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete