Oct 2, 2010

Date Night and Rainy Football Saturday


I woke up still feeling terrible. We ended up bringing me to an Urgent Care center because my face and eyes started to swell shut. The doc thought that I was having an allergic reaction to something, but I have barely eaten a thing in the past three days, and hadn’t eaten anything at all in over 6 hours and had no trouble breathing. Either way, I woke up this morning and my face and eyes are still pretty swollen and I feel terrible still, so I forewent the gym once again. I don’t like taking this many days off from fitness, but I’m at a pretty precarious point in my health right now with both my parents worrying and no idea what my doctors have been thinking.

So, because of my decline in health, I’ve decided that until the worst of it is over, workouts will be put on the very back burner. I will still do my best to post recipes, goings-on, and food pictures (I have a few things in the works, which involve a recent purchase), but don’t expect to see much in the way of workouts or running on here for the foreseeable future. Mysterious, undiagnosed, unpredictable diseases mean that I can’t plan for the future. Not the next day, the next hour, the next minute. Try hard as I might, my body does not care that I have class, a race, or haven’t seen my friends in who knows how long. Right now, I’m just going to try and focus on keeping myself out of the hospital and doing irreparable harm to my body.

I spent most of the morning studying for my test rather than hitting the gym or popping in a workout DVD. I threw a shower in there somewhere because I figured it was necessary. Breakfast was sorely missed over the past few days. Old-fashioned oats made in Vanilla Caramel tea, mixed with flaxseed meal, chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin puree, and topped with maple syrup, Grape Nuts, and PB&Co. White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter. I’m not a huge fan of the WCW, it just tastes like normal peanut butter, so it’s only because I expected more of a “white chocolate” taste. I’ll eat it, of course. I just won’t expect so much out of it next time.


Lunch was a Chocolate-Chip Clif Z-Bar, a Honeycrisp apple, and some Jell-O Chocolate Mint Mousse. I don’t usually like mousses, but I actually kind of enjoyed this; maybe due to the chocolate-mint combination? After lunch, I grabbed a bus on to campus for a quiz in Food Safety over Salmonella, E.coli, Listeria, and Shigella. At least, that’s what I thought. Apparently, the quiz is going to be Monday instead. Great. I dragged myself to campus, in pain, to take a quiz that turned out to be moved.

A nurse from my doctor’s office said that I should be eating two servings of fresh fruit, drinking 64 oz. of water, and eating 20-25g fiber a day and that that would make me all better. Problem is, those are things that I’ve been doing all along for months. Apparently they don’t believe me when I tell them about my medical and health history. I get that people lie, it’s inherent to some degree, but I know that this has nothing to do with any of those things because I already do do all of those things. I’m so frustrated and still in pain. We’re going to start asking around for new doctors willing to take on the challenge of figuring out what’s wrong with me. I’m honestly up for anything right now. Any tests, any doctors, any treatments. I just want to be better. I just want to be healthy again. To be able to plan more than a minute in advance again. I want control of my life back.

Lyle and I were supposed to have a date night tonight, but had to cancel because of me. The best laid plans. . .


Woke up still feeling crappy, so yet another day with no workout. I think that it goes without saying that I will not be running tomorrow, but I’m just saying it for a fact here. Breakfast was old-fashioned oats made in Vanilla Caramel tea, mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, and pureed pumpkin, and topped with Grape Nuts, maple syrup, and PB&Co. WCW peanut butter. I am totally loving this mix now that I finally got all of the proportions right.


Today was a big conference football game for my university: playing against Wisconsin. Good thing I don’t tailgate, because it was rainy, cloudy, and cold all last night and all of today as well. Eating was kind of difficult today again. I was prescribed some new pills to try, which will hopefully help, but the top of my dresser is beginning to look a bit ridiculous with the amount of pill bottles it houses. For some reason, I was a little nauseous starting midday, so I tried to keep things simple for the rest of the day. Things like Cascadian Farm Honey Nut O’s with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze and bananas. However, this did nothing to appease my body, but at least I tried, right? I don’t like weeks like this where I’m in pain 4-5 days in a row basically nonstop.

Unfortunately, Coach is back in the hospital with a blood clot in his leg after he suffered a heart attack last week and was not able to be there in the coach’s box. Our prayers go out to you, Coach! Luckily, we rocked it out and ended up with a solid win against a team ranked much higher than us.


  1. Ha, go Wisconsin! I'm not much of a sport fan, but I do like my state.

    I'm still really sorry you're not feeling well. I wish I could make some kind of magical recipe and send it your way that would take care of everything (have you tried hummus? Haha).

    I also hate when doctors think you're lying. I remember when I used to have really long hair and I was at a typical teenage age and they would ask "do you smoke, drink, are you sexually active" etc. and I would reply no to all of them and it seemed as if they didn't really believe me. But hey, you're just answering what they're asking for, they can take it or leave it.

    Again, I hope you're feeling better soon. Keep getting plenty of rest and take care!

  2. I couldn't imagine dealing with feeling unwell like that so much. I think its good you're putting exercise on hold until things start feeling better.

    And I love college football! So fun!