Jun 23, 2010

If Weather Were A Post-Menopausal Woman, She'd Be Named The Midwest

Long day. You know, one of those days where you don't actually start doing any of the things on your "To-Do" list until about 8pm. Yeah, that's been my day.

It started with some morning yoga. Nothing too intense, just enough to wake me up a bit so I could get going. We bought store-brand Nutella the other day and I was super excited to try it this morning with breakfast: banana and hazelnut spread sandwich. I just cut the banana lengthwise and widthwise once and spread on the spread.


*Drool* This had to have been one of the greatest things I have ever tried. The hazelnut spread had cocoa powder in it as well and it tasted fantastic. Can't wait to try it again tomorrow morning.

After getting a heads-up from the boy, I was greeted by this delight of a radar map in my forecast search. Seeing as I bike the 3.5mi it is from my house to work, I was in a hurry to get out and get there before the lightning became rain. Needless to say, it only took me about 17-18 minutes to arrive and that was BARELY missing the rain.


Lunch consisted of a South Beach Living Protein Fit Cereal Bar in Cinnamon Raisin, Gala Apple, and Fudge Petites from the Nabisco 100 Cal product line (I'm a major fan of the whole chocolate-mint combination). I'm not actually on the South Beach diet, but I find myself coming up short in the protein department almost every day, and the 8g that this provides really helps. Plus, it's really good! I've been having these since high school and this is definitely my favorite flavor.


Luckily, the storm lasted much shorter than the forecast had predicted and so I was able to ride home in more favorable conditions after my afternoon snack of soy nuts (also very high in protein, about 13g in 1/3 cup!). After cleaning up, I was off to my first real sushi-eating experience with my dad and step-mom: Ukai Hibachi Grill and Sushi Bar.


Let me tell you, this experience was amazing. It's one of those places where they set everything on fire and cook right in front of you, all while spinning their utensils every which way and flipping egg shells into their hats. However, being new to the restaurant and wanting to try several kinds of sushi, I passed on the Hibachi and went straight to the sushi bar with some help from a picture menu and recommendations from my dad. Clockwise from top: Spicy Tuna, Spider, Eel Avocado (I did not partake in this particular variety, I mean, it has EEL), Asparagus Avocado Cucumber.


I thought that everything was just fantastic. They start you off with Miso Soup with Tofu and a Salad with Ginger Dressing. My favorite of the evening was the Spider Roll: Softshell crab, avocado, cucumber, and crab stick. The Spicy Tuna was okay, but it was almost as if they pureed the tuna and I wasn't really digging it. The asparagus avocado cucumber was respectable, but the Spider Roll was definitely the winner. Even with my relatively large mouth, however, I struggled getting the whole piece in at once, let alone getting the piece off the plate.

After completely stuffing myself (they give you SO much and I get full quickly), it was straight back home to do homework and pre-prepare for the dinner I'm cooking tomorrow for Lyle and to catch up on some of my shows: Pretty Little Liars, The Bachelorette, and Secret Life of the American Teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment