Jun 25, 2010

The Pipes, The Pipes, Are Calling

Woke up at 6:30am for seemingly no reason. I had planned to wake up at 7:30am, but this worked just as well. Since I was up so early, I decided to go for a run. After a pre-workout snack of unsweetened applesauce, and the intention of running 1.5 miles in 15 minutes, I set out into the 55° “heat” of the morning just as the fog was coming off the field.

It wasn’t too terrible. I usually have a pacing problem, since I’m not a very experienced runner and usually run by myself (as an ex-cross country runner for my high school, I was used to running in groups and just matching their pace). I go too fast and wear myself out. So, my pace was not very steady today. Regardless, I put in a respectable 14:08 and 1.46 miles, making my average pace 9:40 or 6.2 mph. For my 5K, I had an 8:12 or 7.3 mph average pace, so I have a long way to go to get back to that place. However, at the end of last summer when I was running regularly I was around 6.4-6.6 mph, so I guess I’m pretty much right where I left off before I got sick.

I'd love to take this opportunity to mention one of my favorite fitness and running tools: MapMyRun! Since I don't have any fancy equipment to tell me my pace and distance (I just use my digital watch's stopwatch function to determine time), I needed a way to see how far I go on my runs. After I run I just map out my run on the satellite image and the program will calculate the distance you went. If you enter your time it will also tell you your pace, speed, and caloric burn based on your inputted weight.


I came back to a nice shower and a delicious bowl of fat free cottage cheese (16g protein!) with mandarin orange slices.


Now I’m off to a family thing for the rest of the day, meaning I need to go make myself look all pretty. Hope to post later tonight, though we may be stuck in Detroit overnight and I won’t be able to. Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment