Jun 24, 2010

Life Is Such A Pain In My Toe

Morning was the same as yesterday. Quick 15-minutes of yoga to open up my body followed by a banana dipped in Nutella. Mmmm. Then off on the 3.5mi bike ride in to work. For some reason I just was not in my head today. It was like I was only half there all day. I blame it on me constantly forgetting to take my vitamins in the morning with breakfast.

At lunch, I treated myself to a new flavor of yogurt I had never tried before: Key Lime Pie



Wow! It was fantastic. It tasted just like those lime-flavored juice Popsicles that I used to eat all the time. Plus there were about 8g of protein in this little guy! I paired this up with my normal South Beach Living Protein Fit Cereal Bar in Cinnamon Raisin and soy nuts.

The bike home was wonderful. It was sunny and 77, but the wind was pleasantly chilly and kept me going all the way home. Had I not had to prepare dinner I may have even gone for a short run. But, alas, my cooking adventures had to begin, and they did so with:

Chicken-Tortilla Pie
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1/4 cup salsa
1 cup black bean dip
4 (8-inch) wheat tortillas
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Cooking spray

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Combine chicken and salsa in a medium bowl.


3. Spread 1/4 cup black bean dip over each tortilla. Top each evenly with 1/2 cup chicken mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese. Stack tortillas in bottom of a 9-inch springform pan coasted with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove sides of pan. Cut pie into 4 wedges and serve immediately.


It was a noble effort. There was a little kick with the salsa and bean dip. I added some extra salsa on the side of my slice, but you could have sour cream, guacamole, really anything your heart desires. Personally, I thought that 4 layers was much too big. If I attempt this again I would probably only do 3 or even 2 layers. Also, I would recommend adding shredded lettuce on top with extra salsa.

Then for dessert I made Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies.

Ingredients:
Ritz Crackers (or other buttery crackers)
White chocolate chips
Peanut Butter
Optional: Sprinkles for decorating

Directions:
1. Spread a small amount of peanut butter on the flat side of a cracker and attach to the flat side of another cracker. Repeat with the remainder of the crackers and peanut butter.
2. Melt your white chocolate chips in a double boiler. (I make-shifted out by boiling water in a normal pot and placing a mixing bowl over it to melt the chips in.)
3. Drop each "sandwich" in the chocolate and submerge completely. Remove with a fork and set on wax paper to dry. Decorate with sprinkles, drizzle, however you would like.

It took me about 2 packages of white chocolate chips to make 25 sandwiches, so keep that in mind when purchasing. Add as much peanut butter as you would like. For something extra, you could try mixing in some honey with your peanut butter before spreading. My favorite was the sandwiches made with peanut butter and grape jelly. The fruity jelly was a good contrast to the candy coating. P.S. I thought that these had an aftertaste that tasted exactly like those Tagalongs Girl Scout cookies!


Not working tomorrow. Instead I'm visiting family near Detroit, so my post tomorrow should be quite a bit different. Shout-out to my favorite blogger, Iowa Girl Eats. She responded super quickly to the comment I posted on her blog and I can't wait to try some of her recipes.

Any tips on how to remember to take your multivitamin in the morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment