Jun 30, 2010

Hump Day

Early morning and I'm feeling it. 8 hour work day = mental exhaustion. Since I still had 1/2 a banana left from yesterday's Overnight Oats, I decided to make another batch for this morning.


Almond Cherry Overnight Oats
    1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
    1/2 smashed banana
    1 Tbsp. toasted wheat germ
    1 FF Red Velvet Cake yogurt
    Handful of almonds
    Handful of dried cherries

I thought about adding some Nutella in there and didn't, thinking that this would be enough to fill me up for the morning. I was wrong. Oh well, maybe next time. I biked to work, started my experiment, and then ate a mid-morning snack of dry Life cereal. Lunch was as uneventful and dull as ever. Regular protein bar, soy nuts, and fruit. I really need to think of things to eat at lunch. But with no refrigerator and no microwave, and the fact that I can only eat in little bursts, makes me feel very limited and deprived in my choices.

I biked home after work, fully ready to watch the episode of Pretty Little Liars that I missed and look through some of my mom's old cookbooks. But, alas, it was my turn to make dinner, so at it I went: Summer Vegetable Frittata and Kale Chips.


The kale chips were okay. I think I'll reduce the time for the next batch, though. The frittata was amazing. Seriously, IGE, I owe you BIG for this recipe because I could not have been more pleased (and neither could my mother, who I made this meal for, she was surprised that there were so few ingredients).

After allowing for a bit of digestion, I went out for a run shooting for 2 miles. Let me tell ya, my body did not want to do even half a mile. But, I pushed myself and cranked out a nice 2.16 miles in 19:57. That's a 9:10 pace and 6.5 mph on average. I feel so good, knowing that I did what I set out to do and accomplished it even when it got hard. But now, I am definitely ready for bed and not looking forward to the 7+ hour work day I have again tomorrow. Night!

Summer Vegetable Frittata
(modified from IGE)
Ingredients
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1/4 cup parmasean cheese
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small sweet potato, cubed and steamed
2 c. broccoli, chopped
1/4 cup water
2 oz. goat cheese
Directions
Whisk eggs and egg whites with parmasean cheese,salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a large skillet on high, then add the sweet potato and some salt and pepper, and cook until the potatoes are slightly colored.
Add broccoli and water into the skillet. Cover and steam for 2 minutes or until broccoli still has a little bite.
Add the egg mixture to the skillet and spread. Run a spatula around the outside edges to prevent sticking.
When the bottom is set and the top slightly runny, add goat cheese and place skillet under broiler for 3-4 minutes or until cooked.

Kale Chips
(from IGE)
Ingredients
1 head fresh kale
1 tsp. EVOO
garlic powder
parmasean cheese
Directions
Start with a head of fresh kale and strip the curly leaves off the thick stem. Rinse and dry the leaves. Place in a plastic bag along with the extra virgin olive oil and garlic powder and shake. Lay out on a foil-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with parmasean cheese. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until the edges are dark brown/red.

No comments:

Post a Comment