Sep 8, 2010

Chocolate for Breakfast

Middle of the week already? Yay, for holidays speeding up the school week! Yes, I am already complaining about classes, but only because I will always have my head in a book this year. Since the mornings are too dark here for me to feel safe running outside, I hit the gym and endeavored on a mission to complete a “Hills” program on the treadmill. I stuck to level 5 (out of 20) for most of it, meaning the largest incline was about 4%. I worked my butt off; sweating and pushing myself further than my mind thinks that it can go. It’s amazing how much stronger my body is than my mind. In total (including warm-up and cool-down) I ran 3.42 miles in 35:00. Not too shabby!

Breakfast was something a little different this morning. Yes, it is still oatmeal, but different oatmeal! I wanted chocolate for breakfast and, by gum, nobody was going to stop me! Holy Yum! This was my first experience with PB&Co.’s Dark Chocolate Dreams and it certainly did not disappoint. This was such a treat and really hit the spot since I was in an oatmeal rut.

IMG_0003

Cherry Cordial Oatmeal
1/3 c old-fashioned oats
1/2 c water
Raspberry Zinger Celestial Tea
1/2 tsp chia seeds
1 T flaxseed meal
1 tsp cocoa powder
2 T Grape Nuts
1 T PB&Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams
1 T cherry preserves
1 T almonds

I went on to campus early today since this is basically the only day during the week that I can see my boyfriend. We lunched together between his classes and before my one. No pictures, but I had a plum, a mandarin orange cup, and a high-fiber tortilla stuffed with a veggie mix, a crumbled Grilled Vegetable Boca Burger, and salsa. Class was fairly boring again. We went over some web resources for tracking foodbourne diseases and started talking about Microbiology. I think I won’t really like the class munch until we get more in-depth with the microorganisms. Basically, so far I’ve learned that there are 76 million cases, 325,000 hospitalizations, and 5,000 fatalities every year due to foodbourne illnesses.

Once I got home, I ate a salad and another plum. Except to see salad or veggies in the near future because I have to use up this bag in the next day or it’s outta here. I read about writing biological science papers and started into the Hardy-Weinberg principle.

In honor of The Fitnessista’s Indian Food Wednesday, I had Palak Paneer from Ethnic Gourmet.Yum, YUM, YUM! So good! I’ve really come to enjoy Indian food in the past few months and this was absolutely perfect. It might not look very pretty, but it sure made up for it in the taste department. I hope to find this on sale again soon, otherwise it’s too expensive for my puny college food budget. This meal was originally over $5, so you can see how something like this would definitely be a once-in-awhile treat.

IMG_0002

I’m off to banish my nose in my Biology textbook and supplemental materials. I hope that everyone has gotten over their Wednesday hump and is looking forward to the coming weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment