Sep 6, 2010

Rainy Labor Day

I slept in again this morning for my health. Once I finally got up and around, I was not in the mood for oatmeal. Instead, I poured a bowl of Kashi GoLean with USVAB and sprinkled some cinnamon on top; all with a side of pineapple and honeydew melon.

IMG_0003

I spent the rest of the morning reading for my Biology lab and watching The Simpsons. I decided that if I felt well enough at 1pm that I would attempt a workout that included lots of upper-body moves. Since I had not needed to take any pain meds so far since the pain was not bad enough to merit it, I went for it: Jillian’s 30-Day Shred Level 2. Today was a perfect day for DVD workouts since it was raining up a storm outside. No Labor Day picnics to be had over here!

After the workout, it was back to watching The Simpsons, but Nutrition was subbed in for Biology. I was super excited for dinner, because I finally decided to make up the spaghetti squash I had stashed in the bottom of the fridge! I had never eaten spaghetti squash before, but had seen it and thought it was so cool that a vegetable naturally occurs like that!

IMG_0001

Thank goodness for there being preparation instructions on the produce sticker. I cut the squash in half lengthwise, scooped out the seeds, and placed cut side down in a baking dish with 1/2 c water. I only made up half of the squash since I was only cooking for me this evening and left the other half for tomorrow evening. The squash was then covered and  microwaved for 10 minutes; afterwards a fork was used to remove the spaghetti-like strands. I seasoned the “noodles” with salt, pepper, and garlic powder with parsley and I topped the whole thing with the remaining broccoli from last night and about 1/3 c of chunky marinara sauce. It was good; perhaps too much garlic powder, but good all the same. The squash was fairly tasteless, so whatever seasonings or sauces you add will really be the feature of the dish, and they come out a little “al dente”, which is good. No one likes a soggy bowl of noodles.

That meal left me quite satisfied, but I’ll probably grab a little something later on for dessert before bed. Until then, I’m back to the endless reading that accompanies being a college student. Happy Labor Day! I hope that you enjoyed your day off from work and classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment