Sep 11, 2010

Remembrance and New Kicks

I’m going to take a quick moment to mention the event that happened nine years ago today that changed the course of many American and international lives. Remember where you were that day and what life was like in that instant. Remember the front page of the newspaper in the following weeks. Remember those who gave their lives and those who continue to give their lives as a result. Remember our heroes…
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rest day and College Football Saturday. Breakfast was the usual, just later in the day than usual since I slept in an extra hour. Old-fashioned oats made in Raspberry Zinger tea, mixed with chia seeds, cinnamon, and flaxseed meal, and topped with Grape Nuts, PB&Co. CRS, cherry preserves, and almonds in a cheery, yellow mug.

IMG_0004

I spent the rest of the morning finishing my Nutrition chapter on carbohydrate and wrote a Lay Summary of a scientific paper I had to do for my Biology lab. Then it was time to make up for last weekend being a huge bust. But I walked away successful! Introducing my new, fancy running shoes: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10’s. So pretty! I also got to go grocery shopping, which was a little bit less fun because I have to start paying for my own groceries starting now and I haven’t received word yet on my request for a Bridge Card (fairly common among Michigan college students who live off campus; used for Food Assistance to pay for groceries).

IMG_0002

With groceries came a new recipe from one of my mother’s old vegetarian cookbooks!

IMG_0002(1)

Corn and Tomato Frittata
Yields 6 servings

1 1/4 c fresh cut corn
1/4 c chopped green onions
1 1/2 c egg substitute (I used Eggbeaters)
1/3 c skim milk (I used Horizon Organic)
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh basil (I used dried)
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 small tomatoes, cut into 12 wedges
1 c (4 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese (I used soy cheddar cheese)

Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add corn and green onions; sauté until tender. Combine egg substitute and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 15 minutes or until mixture is almost set. Arrange tomato wedges near center of egg mixture, and sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut frittata into 6 wedges and serve immediately.


Not too bad! I shook on some extra salt and pepper after I had served myself, but I guess that’s more of a preference kind of a thing.

Now I’m off to watch the episode(s) of Friends where Chandler and Monica get engaged and maybe start in on Season 7 depending on how tired I am. All the while reading from my Biology textbook. It has been raining literally all day today so I hope there’s plenty of sun tomorrow to boost the weekend mood and set the stage for a hopefully great week ahead. Goodnight, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment