Aug 10, 2010

Failure

Today started out just like normal. Ate a square of dark chocolate, drank some water, and dressed for my run. I set out, feeling good to be back in my running shoes after a few days off. Everything felt okay for the first mile or so, and then all of a sudden I got hit with a massive pain just under my ribs on the right side and it was all downhill from there. I had to walk, I could not breathe. I am so upset that I could not get the run I so desperately desired and needed; feeling like this morning was a waste and a failure.

When I finally made my way back home, I made up some oatmeal, but it did not make me feel as good as it normally does: old-fashioned oats, cinnamon, peanut butter, 1/2 banana, flax meal, Grape Nuts, raspberry preserves, and pomegranate Craisins. This wasn't quite enough for me this morning, so I also munched on a few chocolate-covered cherries as well.


Long day at work, but at least I had a book from one of my favorite series with me to help pass the time! If you've never checked out the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich, you definitely should! This is one of the few books that my mother has read before me, recommended, and I actually enjoyed enough to continue reading the rest of the series. I needed to bring a book other than Under the Dome in with me to work because, really, I can't be hauling around a 1,000+ page book all day now can I?

Lunch was a Peanut Butter Cookie LUNA bar, a Gala apple, and some yogurt. True, LUNA bars are 70% organic, but to me this smelled and tasted too chemical-y, processed, and fake. It wasn't terrible, and would have been good enough in a pinch, but now that I've been exposed to things like Pure bars and Larabars, it's just nowhere near the same or as tasty to me anymore.


Today has just left me in a terrible mood; from beginning to end. However, I would like to take the time now to congratulate Kath from Kath Eats Real Food (KERF) on passing her RD exam! Hopefully I will be in your same position 4-5 years from now.

1 comment:

  1. When I first started running, I got terrible cramps in that exact spot. Sometimes I would cramp up so bad that it would hurt for the whole day. It happened during my first 5K and was such a disappointment. I think it had a lot to do with my breathing. Try to look at each run as a learning experience, not necessarily a failure. You will rock the next run!

    ReplyDelete