Aug 24, 2010

Playing Hooky (But Not Really)

As per the schedule I laid out, I did Level 3 of the 30-Day Shred this morning. Wheew! It's days like these that make me feel like I really need to step it up in my strength training and weights sessions. I read this article this morning before I did my DVD workout and I think it helps to explain why I only use 3-lb. hand weights. Sure, you could do one rep at a high weight. But you could also do many more reps at a lower weight. However, these will give you very different results. Since I'm not looking to build size (read: female bodybuilders kind of freak me out), I use lighter weights with more sets to "tone, lengthen, and get definition". I want to be strong and look athletic, but still look and feel like the woman that I am.

Ok, now that I've rambled it's time to bring it back to the best and most important meal of the day (IMHO): Breakfast! Old-fashioned oats mixed with cinnamon and topped with flaxseed meal, chia seeds, chopped almonds, PB&Co. CRS, and raspberry preserves.


Day home from work today due to my doctor's appointment to go over the CT scan results. Everything came up normal, so the doctor set me up to test for rarer diseases. We're starting with testing for genetic diseases and porphyria, so hopefully these tests turn something up. They're also tweaking my medication a bit to hopefully help manage the pain a little. Now I just have to get through the next two or three weeks until my next appointment when the results from the new tests are in.

Since my appointment lasted almost two hours, I was running on empty once I finally got back home. Since I'm usually pretty lacking in the veggie department, I wanted to be sure to include lots in my lunch since I was at home and had the opportunity. I laid out a high-fiber tortilla, spread it with garlic hommus, and topped with soy swiss cheese, spinach, mushrooms, tomato, and a little GMO-free salsa. Not the daintiest meal to eat, however. My plate looked like my wrap bled to death from all of the fresh juices that seeped out during the devourment process. But, totally worth it since it tasted so delish.


I snacked on a Kashi TLC Peanut Peanut Butter Chewy Granola Bar in the early afternoon to fuel Part II of my workout today: Level 2 of the 30-Day Shred. This one gave my arms/shoulders a serious beating. I refueled afterwards with a cup of Cascadian Farms Organic Honey Nut O's with USVAB. I love this cereal. It's like Honey Nut Cheerios, but in my opinion is a little bit better. I usually find the Cheerios version to be too rough on the top of my mouth and dry, so the Cascadian Farms version is an excellent replacement. Tasty and organic to boot!

After the workout, I spent most of the evening attempting to pack. I've run out of boxes and suitcases in which to pack things, so I could only get so far. Plus, there are a lot of things that I'll be using in between now and midday Friday. And I think that I'm seriously underestimating how much time it will take to transfer all of my things over to the apartment, even though it's only two or three miles away. Also, unfortunately, I'm thinking it'll take more than one trip. But, no use worrying about it now. I'll do what I can with what I have. It will all get done eventually, even if that means taking an extra day to move in.

Dinner was something quick and easy so that I could continue packing and watching Made on MTV: Dr. McDougall's Right Foods Pad Thai Noodle Soup (gluten free, vegan). A tad on the spicay side for my sensitive tolerance level (my nose was actually running!), but I would eat it again if I were in a pinch and in the mood for a big, hot cup of soup, or at least consider trying some of Right Foods' other soup varieties.


Okay, back to packing and my MTV Made marathon. Running in the morning and back to the lab for most of the rest of the day. See you in the AM!

Quote of the Day: Behind every great achievement is a dreamer of great dreams. Robert K. Greenleaf

No comments:

Post a Comment