Aug 23, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons

Back to the old grind. I broke open a new dark chocolate bar, ate a few pieces, and was off on a 3.13 mile run which I completed in 29:03. I have to tell you, it did not feel good. I had a cramp almost the entire time, but I'm stubborn and did not want to give in to a little discomfort. If it had been my foot or knee, well that's a different story, but this was just a stomach thing and I did not want it to stop me from training. I could barely feel the cramp by the end of the run and am glad that I pushed myself and went through with it.

Once I arrived back at home, I was finally in the mood for oats. So, I made up the usual mug: 1/3 c old-fashioned oats, flaxseed meal, Grape Nuts, pomegranate Craisins, cinnamon, raspberry preserves, and PB&Co. Cinnamon Raisin Swirl. So classic; so satisfying. I would have added a few chia seeds into the mix as well, but I forgot about them completely!


As the oats were cooking, I packed food for the day: Annie's Cheddar Bunnies for a snack, with a Lemon Bar Larabar and a fresh Pink Lady apple for lunch. Just look at how massive that apple is! We usually get Gala apples, but Iowa Girl Eats has had me hankering for a nice Pink Lady apple; one type of apple that I had yet to have tried before. IGE seems to have one with her lunch or for a snack on most days, so they must be good, right?


The Lemon Bar Larabar flavor was fair. It's not among the worst I've tried and would actually get again if I was in the mood and my top choices weren't available. Definitely lemony and refreshing. As always, the short and natural ingredients list gets major points. Dates, cashews, almonds, lemon juice concentrate, and natural lemon flavor. I've been keeping a list of all the Larabars I've tried so that I can rank them later on and use that to decide which I will buy on a regular basis when I go to the store.


Other than stopping at the post office on the way in to work this morning, my work day was pretty uneventful. Although, I did witness a woman buy $132 worth of stamps at the post office and I forgot to grab a bottle of water out of the fridge this morning (d'oh!) and so had to buy one at the coffee shop once I got to work. Work actually didn't drag on today, which is awesome. I am so ready to fast-forward to Friday.

I was in a "blender" kind of a mood when I got home and, since I constantly underestimate my appetite while at work, was ready for something green and revamped. I would now like to introduce to you the Epic Green Monster (EGM), Take 2:


Epic Green Monster V.2
3/4 c USVAB
1 c spinach
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 frozen banana
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 c ice
Blend until smooth. I chose to top this baby off with green grapes, pomegranate Craisins, Fiber One cereal, and a crumbled Enjoy Life Gingerbread Spice Cookie (gluten free). It was so cold and refreshing after my hot bike ride, but I think EGMs are best made without added ice. So, note to self: use unflavored/vanilla yogurt, no chocolate powders, and no ice. But, hey! I'm learning!

Well, now it's getting late, but at least I finished everything on my list for today. Day off from work tomorrow for my doctor's appointment mean experimentation in the kitchen for meals. I'm hoping to actually cook something and put it together for lunch and snacks rather than just grab-and-eat stuff like I usually have to do due to work and/or being away from the house.

For the rest of the night, though, I am content with watching Cake Boss on TLC, mapping out my bus routes for the semester, and playing computer game free trials. I hope everyone else enjoyed their Monday as much as I did!

1 comment:

  1. My Monday was fair - I did a bunch of cooking, got a 24-hour heart monitor on me and had a rather lax day.

    I'll post my classes up on a post right before school starts too. It's pretty awesome that we're both majoring in Dietetics / sophomores! Maybe if we get lucky we'll be in similar classes and can bounce ideas off of each other, haha.

    ReplyDelete