Aug 28, 2010

Feeling It

I was up basically all night; incapable of sleeping for some reason. I really have no idea how to explain it, other than maybe excitement? Although this article says that it may be the fruit that I ate late last night. Regardless, I hardly slept a wink last night and don’t actually have any idea when I dozed off, but before I knew it the alarm was buzzing and it was time to get my sore body out of bed to groove to some pilates. But, at least I’m all moved in and writing from my new amazing desk in my loverly new room that I decorated and designed all by myself! Take a look:

IMG_0012

That’s only the view from my doorway, there’s also a dresser and closet behind the bookcase, but I love it so much! My own room, away from home (all 3 miles that I am from my house), and lots of space in which to roam and still do workout DVDs and yoga without my roommates having to stare at my weirdness. I also love that it is on the first floor. We didn’t have to carry any of my super heavy things up flights of stairs and will make everything just ten times easier I’m sure. I also found out that some of my friends live in my complex as well which was really nice, since I didn’t think that I would know anyone here other than the roommate I had last year.

After a very cold pilates sessions (the AC is turned way up in this place and I do not make up the majority since I am cold all the time), it was time to make breakfast for the first time in the new place, but I had to be really quite because some people were sleeping in the living room which is connected to the kitchen. Kind of hard to do when you have to use the microwave and repeatedly open cabinet and refrigerator doors and drawers and use measuring utensils. Luckily this isn’t going to be the regular occurrence, but one of the other girls had friends from home stay over. Old-fashioned oats, cinnamon, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, Grape Nuts, almonds, PB&Co. CRS, and raspberry preserves.

IMG_0003

I completely forgot about these giant mugs that my sister and brother-in-law gave me for Christmas for the apartment. They’ve been in the basement ever since and I hardly ever go down there except for the occasional load of laundry I can’t wait to have done. These will be perfect for oats with little danger of them spilling over in the microwave! And they come in different colors, so I won’t have to bore you with my same old mug every single day like I’ve been apt to do.

I spent most of the early morning printing things off for my first week of classes, starting in on the stuff I have to do for my online class, and making up a calendar with all known due dates for all of my classes (a habit I picked up last year). I post the calendar on my corkboard and that’s how I prioritize what do to that day, when to study for things, etc. And I’ll see it every day because it’s right over my bed and colorful!

I walked the ~ 2.5 miles that it is to my house from my apartment on the bike path, picked up my bike, and rode it back to the apartment. Following a much needed shower, I was so ready for lunch. High-fiber tortilla with a vegan Boca burger, lettuce, and ketchup and a cute, little dinosaur pluot. I’ve been seeing pluots on a bunch of the blogs that I read lately, so I decided to check it out myself! Not too bad, not too much flavor in my opinion, but it’s not bad at all! I hadn’t had ketchup in such a long time, it seems. I forget how good it tastes and how much I miss it! For sure my favorite condiment. Thank goodness for my appetite coming back to normal today.

IMG_0001

Once Alli got back from work, we headed over to the Clubhouse to turn in some forms, pick up our bus passes, and look around a bit at where all the facilities were. The Clubhouse has a resort-style pool, hot tub, tanning, basketball, tennis, and racquetball courts, a sand volleyball court, and a 24-hour fitness center. I think you know which one I’m most excited about!

After that, I sat down to do some more work on my computer and tried out a new product: Blue Diamond Wasabi & Soy Sauce Almonds. These sounded so interesting that I just had to try them! They tasted like a very condensed version of Ramen Noodles in nut form. That’s honestly the best way that I can think of to put it. Not exactly something I would want to eat every day, but if I was feeling like getting my taste buds shocked then I would grab for a packet of these babies.

IMG_0001(1)

It’s days like today, before classes officially start and you don’t really have anything to do, that I regret not bringing my TV with me to the new place. Just for something to do to eat up the time, or at least to have on in the background. I have my iTunes playing right now, but it just doesn’t seem to be doing the trick. I tried playing some computer games and reading as well, but since we had so many doors open yesterday there are flies everywhere and are very distracting and annoying and gross. And of course I’m totally uncoordinated or ninja-like so can’t swat the darn things myself.

Dinner was something I’ve been craving all day: Tasty Bite Spinach Dal and Tasty Bite Brown Rice. Tasty Bite has seriously reignited my love of Indian food and I love their short, readable ingredients lists! The seasonings are only just a little bit spicy for me, which is perfect. And I’m so proud of myself for picking out and making up this vegan, kosher, gluten-free dinner all on my own. True, all I needed was a microwave, but still! It was healthy and satisfying and just what I wanted.

IMG_0001(2)

It’s weird how much my tastes have changed over the past year. I hardly ate any pasta dishes over the past few months, and I’m not even upset about it! In my house, pasta was the main component of virtually every dinner that my mother made. Since I’ve started making my own meals and even when I lived in the dorm and had a vast array of options to choose from, I rarely went for the pasta dish. There’s so much more to life than pasta! I probably would not have even had brown rice tonight if it wasn’t just the perfect addition to any Asian-inspired cuisine.

Now I’m just waiting around for Lyle to get back from visiting his hometown so that we can jump in to Friends-watching mode. Almost through season five now! Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day from running and working out, and I think that’s a good thing considering the maybe 3 hours that I slept last night. I felt fine all of today, even with waking up at 6:30am like usual, but I’m not going to let it become a trend to stay up all night like I did last year (bed at 1, wake up at 10). I hope that everyone had an amazing Saturday!

And now to leave you with a funny and (at least for me) partly true article:
Top 10 Signs You're A Running Fanatic

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling of those few days before school starts where you're sitting in your dorm with absolutely nothing to do. Good thing this year I have job applications to fill out and some other things I can occupy myself with :P

    I really like the looks of your room too! You're very lucky to have the space that you do and AC! I'll post my room when I get situated tomorrow to show how little space I have and how it can get a little "bleh" at times, haha.

    ReplyDelete